Ibiza or Las Vegas.. where is the REAL party at?

^^ I don't gamble, save a couple of quid every month or so on the Euromillions (if I remember). The billboard shows and concerts don't appeal. I like sea not swimming pools. Fancy restaurants never feel quite right outside France and I'd prefer a fresh lobster cooked over an open fire on an African beach to nouvelle cuisine any day. Plus I don't go on vacation to shop and (with a very few exceptions) have a basic dislike of everything tangible that's artificial or man-made. Absolutely detest Dubai for that reason. Generally hate both glitz and 'tack' and overt "consumption" of any kind is a particular turn-off. So, guess I'm not one of the 40 million who find what they're after in Las Vegas.

Vegas may be on your doorstep but it's a 10-hour flight away from mine - if I'm going that far I'm looking for something a little more meaningful than a giant man-made entertainment centre to spend money in. Got to be honest, even if I had 2 weeks to spare in California/Nevada/Arizona, it would be so far down the list of priorities of somewhere to spend a night in it wouldn't even hit the radar.

In terms of "having fun" at a club, the argument that it's what you make of it is very true, but put like that this surely implies that any club anywhere can be absolved of its shortcomings, because it's up to you to have a good time there. Reminds me of a phrase "they were doing their best to have a good time anyway".

After the age of 19, I've never gone to a club looking for anything other than good music and to lose myself in dance. Preferably in the company of people who are not in a group I've taken along to make sure even if it's not what we like, we can console ourselves in our own company and distract ourselves from those around us. The acid test of a club is whether you can turn up alone and feel like you're among friends or like-minded people. If you can't then you're basically in the wrong place, whoever you're with or whoever is in the DJ booth. Simple as that.

Not everywhere is for everyone. Some of us are looking for very simple things in life, which can be very hard to find. The old cliches about 'doing it wrong' etc. are very easy to throw in. But the question remains - if you're not looking for what a place is offering then why choose to spend your money and your time going there. For curiousity ? Did that years ago and pretty much got the measure of it. Still waiting for anyone to come along and persuade me otherwise !

Kimjay - fair enough - you may not enjoy Vegas at all. I wasn't suggesting you fly from Europe and check it out - just that if you happened to be there you might not hate it and might get a kick out of it if there for a weekend. I prefer Ibiza as well for clubbing and to me they are not comparable... and prob never will be musically. As Vegas is in my backyard almost (i live in LA) so its easy to get to and go there for business and family events in addition to fun weekends. So i'm there a bit more than many people and maybe have more knowledge how to enjoy it a better than some due to that.

If you happened to be in the SW US on a trip, i seriously would recommend at least spending 1 day there. Its such a strange place in a way its worth a look even if for a laugh and to check off the list of places you have visited.

I have met a few people from LA who don't care too much for Vegas.... so they do exist out here too :)

Your comment about to you a club is good if you can lose yourself in the music.... well hard to do that with the commercial stuff they play most nights.... but that's probably the same story if you were listening to the same dj at a club in Ibiza. Cheesy music being played in Ibiza doesn't make the music any less cheesy - and there is a lot of it in Ibiza (Pacha, Ushuaia, etc. :)

Carl Cox, Luciano, Richie Hawtin, Jamie Jones, Deep Dish, Claude Von Stroke all play here outside of EDC at the big clubs or pool parties.... not often but at least you can get some good music on a few occasions.

Ibiza no doubt, been to vegas so many times, nothing beats Ibiza, music, vibe , people , djs

If you want a proper night out in the western USA, go to harvey's sarcastic disco in LA or one of woolfy's nights or anything featuring dubtribe soundsystem. Vegas on the other hand is marketed at utter whoppers & glowstick gimps. Ibiza also attracts its fair share of cretins but at least there is - for now! - still some choice. This debate will be redundant in next 5-10 years though - EVERY nightspot on earth will look and sound exactly the same.. Globalisation baby.

that's how Vegas (and big clubs in many cities) work - the girl wanted a free table costing thousands of $ for 15 girls (she didn't even know many of the girls). Vegas clubs will many times give bachelorette parties free tables/bottles/comps. The bigger/better the club the less of that occurs and the club rightfully so wants to qualify the people that get such comps which is fair if you are getting a free table worth thousands. but him going on and on about whales, etc., was a bit much and they had to do something due to the bad PR.

i'm sure if some girl contacted Pacha or Ushuaia and asked for a free table for 15 girls plus a few free bottles for a hen party they would be laughed at.

You do Vegas....Ibiza does you. Nuf said.

So I'll go on as usual:

Vegas is cold to those without big pockets so I can imagine having less than a great time if your 99% of the poor club attenders in Ibiza. It also easier to get laid in Vegas as there are American chicks with American standards everywhere. As in, they have no standards...don't even worry about a condom either...cause most of them don't have aids.

To quote a trend that never took place: WIBBOW : Worst in Ibiza Better than the Best of the World.

Ibiza doesn't have a giant Ferris wheel or a restaurant where they suspend wine fetchers on ropes...it just has the best music options (and drugs) in the world in a cozy environment.

I'm not running back to the states every year to spend thousands more on so much less.

Vegas, or you just don't get it?

Well, I'm American, wealthy, and would rather hear top 40 than electronic music... and would rather be in Ibiza any day of the week.

After all, Ibiza has famously horrible hotels, a general lack of eligible women, hassling police, overcrowded and hot clubs, hours of taxi lines, and no one over 40 but me on the dance floor.

Why would I want to go anywhere else? (Well that explains my four trips to the Philippines every year)

Letsgetdownanddirtybaby

www.anamericaninibiza.com

They should have a shirt: I <3 ibiza ....
At the back something similar to..

When guardia civil is not around to intimidate me, girls are not prejudist b*tches and tourist have actual rights as customers within clubs.

Ibiza is a naturally beautiful island, surrounded by a lovely sea and has some of the best clubs, dj's and weather in the world. The local people are generally very friendly and most people have a smile on their face

Vegas is a soulless, tacky, man made dump stuck in the middle of a desert where virtually everyone is on the make. And I say that as someone who has been a couple of times and enjoyed it

As much as I love Ibiza I have to concur that the service you get as a tourist is way down the scale much of the time

i think the only 2 things Vegas and Ibiza share are that they are holiday destinations and some of the same djs play both. overall they are very different places and trying to compare them is a bit silly in a way.

omg ... what a tool ... that tiesto-mug should be banned from ibiza:

"... Guetta commands some of the top fees in Las Vegas but stays true to his European roots, maintaining a weekly residency in Ibiza.

That’s increasingly uncommon, as DJs have been choosing the greener pastures of Nevada over the Mediterranean music Mecca.

I’ve been going there for the last 10 years, it felt there was nothing special,” said third-ranked Tiësto last year, shortly after ditching his Ibiza residency. “And then I got the offer to play in Las Vegas … They made me a great proposal, not just the money but also what they’re going to do there, the biggest club in the world.”
That club, Hakkasan, is responsible for a large chunk of Tiësto’s recent earnings: he banked $28 million over the past year ..."
http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackoma...-highest-paid-djs-electronic-cash-kings-2014/

Life in Vegas (new big club at newly opened SLS) will be bringing in underground/techno djs on sunday nights. Already they have announced Eric Prydz doing a Cirez D set as resident along with Pete Tong and Erick Morillo. Now word is they have booked Richie Hawtin, Art Department, Sasha, Seth Troxler, Solomun and Jamie Jones for later this year. Gotta give them props for that.

I'm off to Vegas in January. It's brother in laws 40th. I've never really felt it was somewhere I'd like to go. All seems a bit fake i suppose.

I know we'll have a great time tho and as mentioned before it would be nice to check Vegas off the list. I'll give it a try with an open mind.

January is a very different time of year as its cold out and the pools are closed. so i'd concentrate more on nightlife, seeing some shows, eating some good food, gambling, etc.

Back