Books on Ibiza or the history of house music

nickc1

Can anyone recommend any good books on Ibiza/acid house/rave culture etc. After a good read just read Urban Smuggler which is excellent and bout to read Brandon Blocks autobiography. Some other autobiographies would be great. Did a quick search but couldn't find anything on here other than threads from years ago. Cheers

Not a book but you might be interested,the long awaited Jimi Mistry film And the beat goes on:Ibiza is released on DVD on March 11th.

Last edited:
The White Island - Stephen Armstrong. Probably the best book I have read on the history of Ibiza.

Superstar DJs Here We Go!: The Rise and Fall of the Superstar DJ - Dom Philips. Great book on DJ culture and some interesting stories about Sasha!

Once in a Lifetime: The Crazy Days of Acid House and Afterwards - Jane Bussman. My favourite book about house music. A year by year scrap book from Acid House onwards.

For biographies, not necessarily all house related but certainly some tales of excess try:

Dear Boy: The Life of Keith Moon - Tony Fletcher
Life - Keith Richards
Take it like a man - Boy George
Paul Oakenfold - Richard Norris

Other books everyone must read about excess:

Iced - Ray Shell
Disco Blood Bath - James St James

There's sadly not many that cover the music scene itself in any depth. Obv Altered States & Jane Bussman's v good at capturing the early vibe, + ben turner 'ibiza:inspired images from the island of dance' , brewster/broughton cover it in LNADJSML and also check out the KU and Pacha books too. My own book on Spain is due out in new year, including an ibiza chapter - just sorting out the publishing, more on that nearer the time

There's sadly not many that cover the music scene itself in any depth. Obv Altered States & Jane Bussman's v good at capturing the early vibe, + ben turner 'ibiza:inspired images from the island of dance' , brewster/broughton cover it in LNADJSML and also check out the KU and Pacha books too. My own book on Spain is due out in new year, including an ibiza chapter - just sorting out the publishing, more on that nearer the time
Interesting.....looking forward to it, assume you won't be using the PMJ moniker

This is by far the best on 90s rave culture in the UK:

Adventures in Wonderland: Decade of Club Culture - Sheryl Garratt
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Wonderland-Decade-Club-Culture/dp/0747258465

(out of print but fairly easy to get on amazon or abebooks

Off topic a little but if you really want some music history then these are a good start, beginning in New York, 1971:

Love Saves the Day: A History of American Dance Music Culture, 1970-1979 - Tim Lawrence
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Saves-...1388223648&sr=1-1&keywords=love+saves+the+day
(This one is super geeky but amazing and clearly the best dance music biography in print - my friend wrote it also!)

Keep on Dancin': My Life and the Paradise Garage - Mel Cheren
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keep-Dancin...=1-1&keywords=my+life+and+the+paradise+garage
(again out of print)

Superstar djs read over Xmas. Very interesting as someone who was every week at cream 1997ish.

Loads of excess tales and who knew James lavelle lost it so bad - not me. It's like a biography of sasha but that's not so bad tho strange how he stitches him towards the end.

Don't think he likes Charlie Chester judging from comments

All a bit sad in the end for some of them cocaine has a lot to answer for

Recommended

Back