Cocoon 2014

why on the spotlight calendar says on the 25th of August origins by luciano?

because on www.originsibiza.com it still says so...but i've edited this 10 mins ago - in a bit you'll see the corrected version on our calendar. obviously there was a change, originally it should have been an origins date, but apparently it isn't anymore

Monday 01/09:

Main Room:
Chris Liebing (Official),
MARCEL DETTMANN

Terrace:
Sven Väth (OFFICIAL) all night long
Ten Walls live

Don't really understand this comment. 8 of the Luciano dates have yet to announce any acts!

????
i'm disappointed by the line up of the cocoon team this year and i'm curious to see what the origins team will offer to us!
it's not difficult to understand!

And I kind of agree with it! I think Sven is giving him a big opportunity this year and hopefully he will get to the next level as I think he deserves it!

And he's there on 08 Sep again!

Main Room: Sven Väth, Mathias Kaden

Terrace: Origins by Luciano
Yeah I definitely agree! He was good closing the terrace when I seen him in September after Raresh and seen him the following day at the after party with the same energy!

what is meant by DJ NAME (LIVE)..

what is the LIVE thing?

I'm no musical expert, but my very simple view of DJ set Vs LIVE (someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me).

Most sets are DJ sets i.e. The DJ mixes tracks as they go along. One tracks ends, and he mixes another in etc etc. Basically they aren't really creating any new sounds on the fly or creating music as they go along i.e. layering and patching over sounds from say their laptop etc

LIVE means that the DJ is kind of acting more like a Producer on the fly. So you will find DJs like Guy Gerber doing this sometimes. e.g. They are using their laptop a lot of the time, they may lay down a few lines prior to a set and then as they go along they will create live patches over top of it and making music in front of you.

In my view I love LIVE set's. They are never going to be as seamless or perfect as a DJ Set, but the DJ is basically producing in front of you, can be more responsive to the crowd and you will never have heard what they are creating before.

And I kind of agree with it! I think Sven is giving him a big opportunity this year and hopefully he will get to the next level as I think he deserves it!

Actually LAST SEASON was kaden's year already at cocoon, playing 4 dates plus closing party, also closing the terrace in the morning hours, playing a fantastic afterhour-set etc - I loved him, he is probably one of the most underrated talents in the scene. sven would be mad not to include him.

how the cocoon lineups could be disappointing anyone is completely beyond me. yes, hawtin will probably have over 30 different djs over the season again but imo that's just namedropping for the flyers, having a DJ on one or two nights a season for 90 minutes is not what i expect from a good lineup. cocoon has some of the most consistent and influential players in the techno scene as recurring guests plus a sven in top form!

Actually LAST SEASON was kaden's year already at cocoon, playing 4 dates plus closing party, also closing the terrace in the morning hours, playing a fantastic afterhour-set etc - I loved him, he is probably one of the most underrated talents in the scene. sven would be mad not to include him.

how the cocoon lineups could be disappointing anyone is completely beyond me. yes, hawtin will probably have over 30 different djs over the season again but imo that's just namedropping for the flyers, having a DJ on one or two nights a season for 90 minutes is not what i expect from a good lineup. cocoon has some of the most consistent and influential players in the techno scene as recurring guests plus a sven in top form!

Agree! Cocoon's USP in my view is 1 or 2 DJs playing LONG sets! I mean Sven has quite a few ALL NIGHT LONG sets! As many have said before, while I love ENTER, some of those 90 minute sets are crazy in my view and such a waste when you have such amazing talent - though Richie does of course get 3+ hours to do his magic!

Agreed! Would rather see a class DJ do a 3- 4 hour set , people get in the zone.....the DJ gets in the zone...it's a techno journey....and a better set! Anything less than 2 hours just isn't long enough, wasted use of time I concur mr_why!

I'm no musical expert, but my very simple view of DJ set Vs LIVE (someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me).

Most sets are DJ sets i.e. The DJ mixes tracks as they go along. One tracks ends, and he mixes another in etc etc. Basically they aren't really creating any new sounds on the fly or creating music as they go along i.e. layering and patching over sounds from say their laptop etc

LIVE means that the DJ is kind of acting more like a Producer on the fly. So you will find DJs like Guy Gerber doing this sometimes. e.g. They are using their laptop a lot of the time, they may lay down a few lines prior to a set and then as they go along they will create live patches over top of it and making music in front of you.

In my view I love LIVE set's. They are never going to be as seamless or perfect as a DJ Set, but the DJ is basically producing in front of you, can be more responsive to the crowd and you will never have heard what they are creating before.
spot on

I am also in agreement! Anything over 2 hours and a dj really gets to flex their muscles. If he/she can keep you interested for 4+ hours then you know they're the real deal.

Would love to see diggers at one of his Bedrock nights doing a 6/7 hour set.

Back