Weekend Reportage

MiniMarc

What did everyone get up to??

My mrs's family dog was put down this week so she's been in bit of a state so took friday off work to chill. went to a dodgy snooker hall in tooting which was fun then stayed in fri night.

saturday met my mate at another snooker hall for few hours. its quite theraputic! another quiet night in with mrs.
sunday had a friend of friend's birthday which was great. general sunday pints in the boozer then stayed up to watch new Game of Thrones episode.

what say ye?

Fri - Wine, DJing, Fajitas, Djing, wine, watched Rush
Sat - Manchester city centre on train for early drinks with mates. Went into Dry Bar, an old haunt from my Hacienda days, 11.20 train home.
Sun - Guinness, red wine, hotpot then watched Flight 93, bed at 10pm

Friday - James Blunt concert (don't ask) and a late dinner out

Saturday - Got lots of little errands done, watched football, went out to a much buzzed-about new Chinese restaurant which was just OK in the end, and spent half the rest of the night in a bar full of hipsters with some DJs playing a very random mix of tunes on vinyl 45s (including Frankie Knuckle's Whistling Song. Respect!)

Sunday - Impulsively booked a 10-day trip to Thailand and Cambodia for the May holiday season (May 1,2,9 bank holidays here), spent rest of the day trying to choose hotels.

How was James Blunt? Pre dance music, I did quite used to like his first album.

For me:

Friday, stayed at a mates in Preston to save me having to do the four hour drive from Bristol to Southport for the Ideal Tidy Weekender at Southport Pontins (Hard House weekend).

Saturday: Day 1 of the Weekender. Turned up at 3pm, and just cracked on.
Sunday: Day 2 of the Weekender. No sleep, even though I did try to get my head down. Got up, and carried on down the pub, before moving on the the arena. Tidy Boys Live was fun.
Monday: Managed to get my head down for four hours. Set off from Pontins around 10.30. Got home at 18.30 due to the god awful traffic on the M6 (four and a half hours to do Southport to Birmingham, which is 100 miles away)

Went to Lost at the loft in Brighton on Saturday. Steve Bicknell & Dj Pierre were down for brighton music conference. Ran into one of the ibiza LNADJSML lot at the bar. As ever, Bicknell was class. Shedloads of quality acid. Pierre played way too many classics though incl 3 lil louis tracks , 4 knuckles obv + energy flash, even some rmx of the police roxanne! Which was all a bit disappointing... Venue/Crowd were ok - in any case good to have some pros visit music-starved sussex for a change instead of the usual dross

My weekend was a bit "meh" by recent contrast.

Didn't help that I went to a commercial club on Thursday night, got absolutely battered, and then spent all of Friday recovering. Alcohol is evil.

Friday kept it local and saw Italoboyz. Crackin' little night. Good music. Would've been good to have been a little busier, but shouldn't complain.

Saturday - chaperoned a friend to his DJ gig at Epsom in some hellhole of a venue. Afterwards took a journey across the capital - hampered slightly by road closures because of the Marathon - and eventually made it to Egg. Caught last hour of Todd Terry's set. As per, he didn't disappoint!

Sunday - soaked up the sun and had a few beers, really got in the summer mood. Went to Fuse, but turned away on the door. Put a downer on things.

Eyes firmly on this coming weekend though! So much going on and to look forward to, cannot wait!

How was James Blunt? Pre dance music, I did quite used to like his first album.
Actually, he was surprisingly decent. If you could take the sappier tunes out of his repertoire, you could focus on him being a very good live performer and a competent musician (piano, guitar... I'd always thought he was just a singer). I will say this: I go to a decent number of concerts and this one had, by far, the best looking collection of women in the audience :twisted:

Actually, he was surprisingly decent. If you could take the sappier tunes out of his repertoire, you could focus on him being a very good live performer and a competent musician (piano, guitar... I'd always thought he was just a singer). I will say this: I go to a decent number of concerts and this one had, by far, the best looking collection of women in the audience :twisted:

I saw him almost a decade ago, he'd just released his first album. He still stands as one of the funniest performers I've seen play live. Some great jokes in his repertoire. Although a lot of his music is cheese, haha.

He's quite funny. Good bloke by all accounts . the programme he done with fearne cotton when they went to his house in ibiza is brilliant.

Last edited:
Back