Morning (After) Clubs in London...

strictly 'bank holiday specials' for me only now - although the rival allure of someone's settee and the contents of that box on their coffee table usually offers stiff competition

the london fields on NYD was brilliant

not sure if the old blue last are still doing the easter ones - comedy always assured there in the past

the daddy of the morning parties was possibly the royal oak on colombia road. Indescribable scenes :eek: on a sunday morning - very sad when that went gastro

honourable mention to bar 54, (414 in brixton haha ) upstairs at herbal & the key (rip) and the egg garden - all just memories now - no photographic evidence of any kind, even the people I used to go with have all disappeared. Maybe it was all just a dream?

The Royal Oak was a Spotlighters' favourite at one point. Egg garden continues no?

Went to Jaded at Cable the other week - HORRIBLE! Full of South London sewer-rats and weirdos. Long gone are the glory days of The End :(

Been to Fuse a few times which is quite fun, but even I'm getting too old for afterparties these days :)

getting too old for afterparties

I have to admit I get really annoyed when I'm in a club full of kids.

That's why Trade is great - all the bears are out in force and the original dinosaurs are all there - literally hanging on by their last thread.

Stretchers passing through the packed, smoke filled dancefloor are fairly commonplace. :lol:

Stretchers passing through the packed, smoke filled dancefloor are fairly commonplace. :lol:

haha

it got bit like that at the sign of the times reunion - loads of people 'out of retirement' (and probably straight back into it after their 'exertions')

Horsemeat disco is getting wilder by the second these days too.

The number of naked people on podiums seems to be on the increase. :eek:

Actually thinking about it...is this not London's best club at the mo? (Weatherall May 29th!)

hmd is very good, even if you're just a straight 'tourist' like me! but sundays are a bstard and it's a wrench going south. I was with some of the hmd 'fag-hags' in ibiza last summer and we met James H at salinas. Had us in tears when he bellyflopped in the water :lol:

for me - numero uno night in London is Bad Passion at the shacklewell - serious amazingness.

straight 'tourist'

:lol:

The 'tourists' you speak of are usually the only ones brandishing bottles of poppers. :lol:

Is it really about gayness? I guess so in the sense that it's a modern take on disco's hey day (like stepping in a time machine almost) but I like to think it's more about the music than being a Mary.

Went to Jaded at Cable the other week - HORRIBLE! Full of South London sewer-rats and weirdos. Long gone are the glory days of The End :(

Been to Fuse a few times which is quite fun, but even I'm getting too old for afterparties these days :)

Never too old for after parties

:lol:

The 'tourists' you speak of are usually the only ones brandishing bottles of poppers. :lol:

Is it really about gayness? I guess so in the sense that it's a modern take on disco's hey day (like stepping in a time machine almost) but I like to think it's more about the music than being a Mary.

there was a bit of a debate about this on one of the boards after the mel cheren tribute party, the geeks were frowning saying why was fulton playing beegees wedding hits and other people were countering that it wasn't aimed at the geeks etc. haha I suppose my point was that hmd is probably the only 'gay disco night' I'm aware of with an equal pitch to straight geeks - and that is possibly the secret of its massive success? I think there are still some people around who like the music but might be intimidated being surrounded by bears and I think hmd is a pretty easy-going experience for the uninitiated. I think you get a much straighter crowd when they do their parties at plastics than in vauxhall

straighter crowd

What's disco without a few trannies and mustache bears though? Is it possible to dance to Donna Summer, Melba Moore, Sylvester, Patti LaBelle etc etc without feeling just a little bit gay regardless of your orientations?

Call me old fashioned but it sounds incredibly serious*.

* Coming from someone who generally detests exclusive gay nights.

...and the Bee-Gees at HMD? That's a weird one ain't it?

What's disco without a few trannies and mustache bears though? Is it possible to dance to Donna Summer, Melba Moore, Sylvester, Patti LaBelle etc etc without feeling just a little bit gay regardless of your orientations?

Call me old fashioned but it sounds incredibly serious*.

* Coming from someone who generally detests exclusive gay nights.

...and the Bee-Gees at HMD? That's a weird one ain't it?

true - more flamboyance needed. when's quentin coming back over?

re: beegees - it was a stretched out edit of you should be dancing, which he teased in for ages and i supposed it worked in the context of the euphoric disco which preceeded it. I still thought it sounded awful though - I think I went off to score at that point.

I'll give him a bell.

He is my new bezzie mate after all. :lol:

get you!

I still need to get to a proper HMD as i have only done the lightweight non sunday ones. Maybe I need to show these kidz how to do it and go on a weekend long bender just to prove there is life still left in this old dog ;)

lo*kee host some pretty rad afterhour antics!

Few & far between for me now tho ... often takes day(s) for me to feel fresh again after such marathons!

👀

Back